The Odyssey plods ever-onward, heading into the realm of the Japanese pantheon, while also cursing us to have to play games with insta-lock Anubii and Izanamii. There are some…questionable balance changes going on here, too. The biggest offender – an adjustment to Raiju – was postponed in order to be reworked. The rest? Well, let’s find out.
4.19 brings us eight skins – three of which are mastery skins for Hachiman. Of the remaining five, three are part of the Odyssey, and two are Halloween skins. During the patch they are released, the Odyssey items all have a 20% discount. Purchasing an Odyssey item gives you 3500 Odyssey Points, which is enough to give you an Odyssey level, netting you an Odyssey reward like skins, chests, and so on.
- Mummified Izanami: Izanami as an Egyptian mummy, by way of the movie The Mummy (any version). The accent in the voice pack is – like so many of the accents in voice packs – questionable, but it’s not the worst thing in the world. It sounds like it belongs in an old black and white creature feature, if nothing else. The effects are gorgeous, if you dig the sand-magic motif. This is a gem-purchased Odyssey skin.
- Yurei Susano: This is not the first time Hi-Rez has just chosen a vaguely related word from a different language and attached it to the skin, and it will certainly not be the last. Yurei can be roughly translated as ghost, but is mostly refers to a particular type of phantom – white, floating, no hands or feet, surrounded by mystical will-o-wisps, etc. This skin ain’t that. It’s Susasno as a revenant with ghost powers instead of storm powers. It looks dope as hell, but there should be even a passing attempt at some of these names and lore references. This is a gem-purchased Odyssey skin.
- Warchief Raijin: He’s an orc that plays orc drums and says orc things. By orc we mean Warcraft/Warhammer Fantasy Orc. It’s cool, and you need to buy twenty-three items if you want that Ullr skin, anyway. Why not this? This is a gem-purchased Odyssey skin.
- Trick or Treat Cupid: A classic sheet-ghost with a halo to show he is a good ghost – some might say a friendly ghost if they are outside of the earshot of a lawyer – and the return of the slingshot. The other Cupid skin with a slingshot is the Guttersnipe skin, which makes since that kid would die – he was a child chimney sweep, after all. This is available in the Halloween Chest.
- Grim Reaper Thanatos: Thanatos with a classic grim reaper motif. Skulls, bones, skulls and bones, lots of black, etc. It’s exactly what you think it is, and you should know if that appeals to you or not. This is available in the Halloween Chest.
- Raijin Dance Emote: Raijin gets a dance emote. Everything’s comin’ up Raijin.
- No Tact Tina Announcer Pack: A HiRezKama (HiRezTina) announcer pack that is available at level eight of the Odyssey. This requires you to buy at least one item in order to attain this announcer pack. It features a lot of bleeps and what not.
- Spooky Music Theme: A spooky, scary music theme for the season. This is available as one of the items contained in the Halloween Chest.
- Jack O’Lantern Jump Stamp: It’s a jack o’lantern when you jump. It’s in the Halloween Chest, too.
There are only two bug fixes documented this patch, and while one of them is the Morrigan, it doesn’t address the issues that were revealed with her late into the Fall Split. This is very disappointing, but these things do take time.
- Gods – the Morrigan: Quick/Instant cast should no longer sometimes result in the Morrigan transforming into the incorrect god. Additionally, the camera will not become permanently zoomed out after using a Nu Wa ultimate.
- Items – Witchblade: This item is no longer in the lifesteal category.
- Items – Wards: The default ward sound is now the sound heard by all enemies. Custom sounds and effects will still be played for allies.
The changes this patch cycle are a bit scatter shot. The focus seems to be around bringing edge cases in from the fringes and normalizing the strengths of several gods to make them better overall selections, instead of specific counter-pick selections or gods that are chosen in order to cause issues for less skilled players. Normalization isn’t always a good thing when it comes to variation and identity, but it isn’t automatically a bad thing, either.
- Ao Kuang: It’s almost like the changes to Ao Kuang resulted in moments of incredible burst when coupled with his most standard build – one that included polynomicon to synergize with wild storm‘s basic attack procurement. This resulted in frustration from both sides. AK players wanted to one-shot people and felt locked into a specific build, and the opponents felt there was limited counter-play. The truth is somewhere in the middle – there were a lot of viable builds and positioning was king – but making strides to make AK more approachable is understandable.
- Dragon Call: Ranged dragon damage increases from 15/20/25/30/35 to 20/25/30/35/40. This change is directed at taking more of the burden away from wild storm and redistributing his damage.
- Wild Storm: This ability no longer triggers basic attack items and effects. The damage of this ability increases from 80/125/170/215/260 to 90/135/180/225/270. This is still triggers dragons from dragon call. This change directly addresses the polynomicon interaction, and gains additional damage to compensate. From the perspective of other builds, this is just a buff across the board. From the perspective of the poly build, it’s a nerf.
- Awilix: Awilix has long possessed an identity as an early game god. This is sometimes code for “a god that abuses low skill players.” In her specific case, this was code for “a god that abuses low skill players.” These changes mean to decrease the insta-kill level 1-2 pressure she brought to the table while increasing the scaling elsewhere to allow her damage to be more meaningful late-game, where she typically fell off in potency.
- Feather Step: The damage decreases from 60/90/120/150/180 to 40/75/110/145/180.
- Moonlight Charge: The damage scaling increases from 60% to 70%
- Cú Chulainn: You can call this what you will, but these changes address two specific items: warriors in the jungle and the early lane dominance of Sexy Irish Hulk. When the mid-to-late stages of the game roll around, these changes should increase his already significant team fight prowess.
- Berserk Shield (Passive): The flat amount granted by the passive upon transformation decreases from 40 to 20, while the per level scaling increases from 23 to 24.
- All other abilities: the amount of rage gain decreases from 6 to 5 (12 to 10) for every non-god target hit, and increases from 6 to 8 (12 to 16) for every god target hit. The cap per ability is unaffected.
- Erlang Shen: After targeted nerfs to other cleave gods – Bellona and Osiris – Erlang Shen became the dominant solo-lane pick. As expected, this results in him seeing a nerf to bring up the viability of other choices.
- 72 Transformations: Both of these changes target mink form. The base damage of mink form decreases from 90/150/210/270/330 to 70/130/190/250/310, and the attack speed and haste buff decreases from 5s to 4s.
- Hachiman: These changes are all meant to just re-define his kit, and help him feel a little more fluid in what he is designed to be doing. Additionally, he just has some numerical oddities in need of correction. The movement speed and the iaijutsu changes are the two that are just straight buffs.
- Base Movement Speed: Base movement speed increases from 360 to 365.
- Eagle Eye: Ammo increases from 3/3/3/4/4 to 3/3/4/4/4 and damage decreases from 10/15/20/20/25 (0/5/10/10/15) to 10/15/15/20/25 (0/5/5/10/15).
- Iaijutsu: The cooldown decreases from 18/18/17/17/16s to 16s at all ranks.
- Mounted Archery: The damage scaling normalizes from 225/285/335/390/445 to 225/280/335/390/445.
- Izanami: Izanami has seen a tumultuous season four. The early pressure she brought at the beginning of the season made her a top pick, but she was nerfed several times and the meta has changes as the map changes continued. After that point, her play dropped off significantly and she saw a lot less success. These changes attempt to make her a little more fluid and provide her a little more safety, while only affecting her damage through these two changes.
- Fade Away: Cast time decreases from 0.65s to 0.35s.
- Dark Portal: Warm-up and post-fire time decreases from 0.85s to 0.6s,
- Raijin: There was one change that didn’t go live that was a big deal – the speed of Raiju traveling to the target. The rest of the changes really are fluidity changes and aren’t a big deal. There is a lot of noise around the size of the targeting for percussive storm, but it’s a three stage ability with different hit boxes for each one. Look, it’s fine.
- Percussive Storm: The projectile size has been normalized to 6 units instead of 4.5 scaling to 6 units as it fired. The damage has been decreased from 35/50/65/80/95 to 30/45/60/75/90 per shot.
- Thunder Crash: You can now move while this ability is being cast.
- Taiko Drums: You should be able to fire shots more rapidly, more consistently.
With the strength of the rest of the tree, crusher hasn’t seen a lot of use outside of a few situations. In order to be more appealing to ability based hunters – and a few niche other characters – the attack speed increases from 15% to 20%.
Hide of the Urchin (T2 and T3)
The result of pros complaining about the efficiency of this item coupled with the changes to many other items causes both the T2 of Hide of the Urchin (Armored Cloak) and the T3 (Hide of the Urchin) to see their base protections touched, along with the cost of the Hide of the Urchin being increased by 100g.
- Armored Cloak: The magical and physical protections decrease from 30 to 25.
- Hide of the Urchin: The magical and physical protections decrease from 35 to 30, and the cost increases from 2350g to 2450g.
Soul Reaver has long held a spot as a “mage luxury item,” meaning it costs more than all physical damage dealing items. This isn’t unreasonable – the item packs a wallop – but it’s understandable that it wasn’t getting picked up at the old price. The cost decreases from 2950g to 2750g.